Monday, January 15, 2007

Fresh Fettuccine Alfredo with Smoke Salmon

Tonight, for dinner, we at homemade fettuccine with homemade Alfredo sauce with homemade smoked salmon. While this was a very satisfying meal to make, it just didn't have everything.

Dinner was satisfying for several reason. Firstly, everything was from scratch. Secondly, Chase and I made the pasta - from combining the egg and flour all the way through rolling it out. It is always a lot of fun to cook with the kids and this was no different. It was neat to watch her holding the long sheets of pasta, which she said looked like "Native American cloth," evidently a reference weaving. Chase helped with the alfredo sauce too, stirring it while I watched the pasta. We are a cooking team. Plus, we both wore our spiffy cooking outfits, me in the chef jacket and she chose the Dreyer's apron and chef's hat.

Dinner was lacking for a few reasons too. Firstly, I wasn't too careful on the timing of the pasta. Fresh pasta does have a slightly different texture, but it just didn't come out right. Secondly, I didn't make enough sauce. I would have loved to describe this meal as fresh fettuccine covered in Alfredo, but it was more tossed in Alfredo. I wish that there was sauce left in the bottom of the dish after we ate our serving - yeah, I know it is bad for the cholesterol, but it was my vision. Finally, the salmon was too fishy tasting. When I smoked them, one fillet was wild and one farm raised. The farm raised one was in tonight's dinner. Yes, there is a difference between the two.

All in all, I'll keep on cooking. It is fun and enjoyable, even if it doesn't always come out right! I keep getting better each time (yesterday's first batch of hollandaise sauce was thrown out, because it curdled, but I figured out to melt the second and third chunk of butter before putting them in with the yolk and butter, to keep it from overheating).

No comments: