Saturday, January 07, 2006

Resolutions, old and new

A few years ago, I decided that I wasn’t going to make a long list of resolutions that there was no way of accomplishing and I decided that I would set some objectives for the year.
The first year I did this, I did okay – I met some objectives, I met some a little late and some slipped altogether. But I felt good about what I accomplished.
I was also using my PDA to keep myself organized, so naturally I put my objectives in there.
So, why am I telling you about 2004 resolutions? Is this some kind of super-retro-blog? Nope. As far as I can tell, I didn't change my objectives for 2005! I guess I was capitalizing on the success of the prior year. So, in 2005, I had the same resolutions:
  1. Read 3 books
  2. Run in 3 road races
  3. Take vitamins daily
  4. Complete income taxes prior to 14 February
  5. Exercise at least 3 times per week
  6. Invest for the kids college
So, how did I do in 2005.

Books - I made this goal. I should read even more.

Road Races
I ran in 3 road races - while that counts as a successfully met objective - as the year went on, my times only got slower. Oh well.

Vitamins - I don't think I took more than a handful of vitamins (not all at once, but over the course of the year). Not so good - considering my high cholesterol and heart problems.

Income Taxes - I was close on this one. What kind of dumb idea is it to have the deadline be probably one of the most important holidays in a committed guys year. The taxes were done by the end of February. This year, this one will have to be done quickly, because with a new mortgage, I hope that we've got a lot coming back to us!

Exercise - I did well, for a while, with the help of my friends. We were running at lunch time, 3 days a week and it felt great! I've since moved and haven't figured out how to work it back in. Our new physician is going to push the issue, because she wants to ensure that I keep my cholesterol down. If I can't do it on my own, she is going to push the drug option very stongly. I really don't want it to come to that. This one is important for this year, for some other reasons, which will get detailed later.

Invest for the kids college - Not proud of this one. Didn't do much here. This will be room for improvement in 2005 - we need better defined financial goals and a plan to reach them. Do you see a 2005 resolution coming?

Enough of 2005. Look forward - always forward!

Objectives for 2006
Firstly, I'm not sure how I feel about publicly posting my 2006 personal objectives. This could end up being a good thing, because I am committing to so many more people (than just myself, I guess) that I will do some things. But then at the same time, if I fall flat on my face, that could be problematic, as well. So, here goes nothing.
  1. Lose 10 pounds - When we put our house on the market, we cleaned our house and then for about 45 days only ate out. And most of that was fast food (or Fat Food, as it is sometimes known in my household). I gained ten pounds out of it. I've kept it pretty steady at that, no more during the holidays, but I'd really like to get it off. There is a pair of DKNY trousers that I have that my wife really likes, and I just can't fit into them. Not that they are tight, they just won't fit. I would like to be able to wear them, since my wife likes them so much. This will go together with my next objective.
  2. Exercise, more - So, any more exercise than I am doing now will be an improvement. I've got to figure out how to work more running into my life style.
  3. Keep my cholesterol low enough to stay off drugs - my new doctor told me that THEY have lowered the acceptable level for cholesterol. I really want to avoid taking the cholesterol drugs - I don't wanto start something and have to do it for the rest of my life.
  4. Hike - I really enjoy hiking. Where we live in Washington is so close to the public lands. We have so many trails that are less than an hour from our house. Mostly, the kids like it and we've gone hiking every weekend this year! Hey its that joke - it is only the second weekend!
  5. Finish the income taxes before the end of February - a much better deadline, this go around.
  6. Read at least 3 books - I'll keep this one on the list. I've already gotten started, reading The United States of Walmart.
  7. Develop some financial goals as a family - we've got three kids and college is already inside our ten year horizon. I'd love to retire (inside the ten year horizon too, would be super-cool). We are saving, but it just needs direction.
  8. Keep in better touch with my friends - about mid-way through 2005, I realized one of my significant shortcomings is not keeping in touch. I looked for and found several old friends from my time in the Army and got back in touch. Now that I've done that, I need to stay in touch.
There they are, out there for public consumption. It seems like a long list, with 8 items and all, but that is what I'd like to do. I'll keep you posted (oooh, interesting) through out the year.

Happy New Year!!

No comments: