Sunday, January 08, 2006

The failed expedition to Cedar Butte

The guide book I bought has photographs and Heather saw a photo of Mailbox peak as seen from Cedar Butte and she said that she would like to hike up that trail. So, this weekend, we decided to try it out.
The trail head is a little more than 1/2 an hour from our house and it was a 3 mile round trip. I figure that it would take us about 4 hours to walk it with our 3 year old.
Heather and Alec had an activity at 3 PM, so we knew we need to make an early start in order to get back.
Saturday night, I packed up everybodies day pack with water, lunch, a warm layer, so that in the morning, we'd be ready to go.
I woke everybody up at 7:30 and we were on the road by 8:45. We found the trailhead and headed out. The weather was a little bit colder than it was last weekend, but not bad.
Well, we got about .3 miles into it (I had my GPS humming) and Parker decided he had had enough. Basically, his complaint was that it was too early and he was still sleepy. We made the not to hard call to turn around and went back to the car.
We didn't make it to Cedar Butte, but we turned it into a North Bend Outlet store trip. I ended up with a new Pea Coat, a down vest, a chef's jacket, my daughter got some hiking boots and my wife got a bunch of sweaters. Oh, yeah, and I got the credit card bills. But, still, it was a fun trip.
Once we got home and some lunch in the kids, I asked Parker what would have made it better. He would like to go again, but just later in the day. That's cool - he still likes hiking and getting out there.
We'll go again. Maybe we'll wait until later in the spring time, so the view will better, but we'll be back. Heather wants to see view and I want to hike more. Maybe for the winter time, we'll stick to the lower elevation trails, less terrain and better weather. We're getting started into this hiking thing.

No comments: