Thursday, January 17, 2008

Trip in the way back machine

I am sitting in a Starbucks in Reston, Virginia with a big grin on my face. I'm tooling around someplace I thought I would never see again. I dropped some people at the airport and Reston was close. I had time to kill so I dropped by.


Lots of places look different when you come back to them after 20 years, but Reston (once you get out of the business areas) looks about the same as I remember it. Maybe it is a little more worn, but it is still the same. I could drive from our old house and get to my elementary school. I knew where a shopping area on one of the lakes was, so I came here.


Usually, I'm not a nostalgic person, but deep down inside, I must be. Being here just makes me smile.


  • I saw the sign post that I ran into and cut my head wide open 10 days after we moved here.

  • I see that they've taken out the basketball courts by my old house.

  • It looks like somebody removed the shrubberies from the front of our old house.

  • The community pool was still a pool.

  • The school playground has been rebuilt, is smaller and has a fence around it.


I'd drive by a street and say to myself, “Scott lived that way,” or “David lived over on this street.” It's kind of crazy how much I recall. Its just weird - I don't think I would want to live here, but in some strange way, it is good to be back.


I didn't think that I would visit Reston. Firstly, I didn't think I would have enough time and secondly, I wasn't sure what the appeal was. I'm glad I did stop, though. It got me smiling and in a few hours, I'll be linking up with a college friend for dinner. Its a good day.

No comments: