Thursday, March 30, 2006

Apple releases software for volume limits on iPods

Digital Living Part IV

Apple has released new software for iPods to limit the maximum volume, most likely in response to people complaining about the potential for hearing loss due to the high (in excess of 100 decibels) volume an iPod can deliver.

The story has been carried by CNN, ZDNet, CNet, Reuters, Fox News, the San Francisco Chronicle and probably more feeds that I don't get.

This is not another blog about the great new software.

I downloaded the update, a 45 MB download, which is much larger than the previous updates have been. When I ran it, I quickly scanned over the readme and installation instructions and ran the update. Following the directions, I connected my iPod and it told me "You have the most up to date software."

Upon re-reading the installation instructions, the update is only for iPods and iPod Nanos, not for iPod Photos.

I don't get it. Am I not an iPod owner, if I play it loud, do I not have hearing loss?

I don't really want the volume control (I need to play it at full volume to use it with my crappy FM transmitter in my MINI), but I like the idea of having the latest software updates.

As a parent, I like the idea of being able to set a maximum volume on my kids portable music devices (although none of them have iPods). I have had to tell them, more than once, to turn it down - not because I don't want to hear their music (they actually have good taste in music), but to protect their ears.

Where is the update for iPod Photos?

No comments: