Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm a big geek, as if you didn't already know

This weekend, I watched Drillbit Taylor which I thought was a hilarious movie. Basically, the premise is that a group of dorky (not geeky) high-school boys hire a body guard to protect them from the high school bully. There is more to the story than just that, but I'm not too much of a spoiler.

The boys post an online ad and end up interviewing a lot of potential body guards (you can imagine the mix they get from an online ad) at some coffee shop.

When they get to Drillbit Taylor (Owen Wilson) and they ask him about his experience he says, "I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate."

Recognizing the line from Blade Runner, I chuckle. My wife, who had watched the movie previously with the kids, gives me the big you-are-such-a-geek look, because one of the dorky (who must be a little bit geeky, too) says, "Hey, isn't that from Blade Runner?"

Yeah, I'm a a geek to have recognized the line, but don't you feel a little pity for all the kids who saw Drillbit Taylor and didn't get the significance of that line? Its such a statement of experience. It says something about what humanity is defined or how we try to protect our own humanity.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

No comments: