Monday, July 28, 2008

How to make your Blackjack quiet on startup and shutdown

I'm one of those people who turn their cell phone back on as soon as the plane hits the ground. But from now on, I won't be one of those people whose phone makes an annoying sound!

On my last trip, as I started up my phone, my seat mate, who had the same Samsung Blackjack, asked if there was a way to make it not make the startup noise. Not sound, but noise. The Blackjack, as provisioned by AT&T, makes this horrid whooshing sound when it starts up. I think it is a hold over to the fax connection sounds as the phone makes its 3G connection.

At the time, I did not know how to stop the noise. But now I do. A quick google search yielded this on the AT&T forums:



Agunat wrote:
Is there anyway to shut off the loud noise the phone makes when I turn it on or off? It is really bothersome to me and others in the room.
Agunat



It's easy..just turn off System Sounds from your profile.
Other posters mentioned that you could edit the registry (it is powered by Windows Mobile 5), but that always comes with the warning of being brave (and requires additional software).

Why didn't I do that search right there on the plane? That would have been cool (and geeky) But nameless seatmate, I hope you find the answer, because it is really simple!

No comments: