Sunday, February 04, 2007

Do you have time for Greenpeace?

That was the question asked of the lady in front of us as we walked across from the Public Market today.

Much to my surprise, it wasn't asked of me!

What, you don't want me, the 33 year old white guy with 3 kids in Greenpeace? Don't you think I have feelings about Mother Earth?

Maybe he saw us park our SUV 2 blocks away. Maybe we were just too white bread. Maybe it was my spiffy new shirt from the Gap that made me not Greenpeace material.

I do care about the environment and feel that we do need to work on our conservation efforts. I just don't think Greenpeace does it in a responsible way.

I was really bummed because I wanted to say, "No, I don't have time for Greenpeace."

1 comment:

Mark said...

The canvassers in our neighborhood are much more vague in their pitch: "Do you have a minute to save the environment?" How can you say "no" to that? Well, I manage to do it routinely. What I really want to say is "I've spent the last eight years of my life getting this damn Ph.D. to save the environment, so step off, I need to return my video." But what I usually say is "No, sorry" and walk on.